Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Hello Gemini!

Hi there,

I'm pleased to announce the completion of the fourth painting in my Zodiac series:

May 22 - June 21
Acrylic on Stretched Canvas
20'' x 20''

In choosing what kind of object I would place the constellation in, I had to think of something interesting that had two points of interest. Fortuntely, a watch came to mind where I could use the hour and minute hand as support for each part of the Gemini constellation.

As the painting progressed I wasn't sure where I was going to place the hands of the clock to make sure the constellation was placed properly. Using the dates for Gemini helped a lot. You'll notice that one hand of the clock is between 5 and 6 while the other hand is between 6 and 7. The dates for Gemini is May 22 to June 21.

Here I want to stress that the objects I'm choosing for this series has next to nothing to do with the characteristics of the sign. If it seems to fix, great, if not, I want to at least create something interesting. There are two components to the painting that I am incorporating from my research on each of the signs: 1) is the constellation 2) is the colors associated with the sign. For Gemini for example, its colors are yellow and light blue. The my Virgo painting it was blue, Cancer-silver, Aries-deep red.


With all of my paintings, it always interesting to see it evolve before my eyes. Going forward, I'll try to share that experience with you. At least for the rest of the Zodiac series, I'll post 'in progress' shots so you can also see each work evolve from a sketch to a finished painting.




Thanks for reading and keep checking here (or wait for my email) when the next painting is done.

Regards,
Michelle

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fact that I'm coherent enough at this time of night to post an opinion first should be considered disturbing on many accounts.

    Then again, things could be worse.

    Gemini was one of the constellations that interests me, and the using the hands on the watch was a near-flawless way of expressing such a connection. Personally, I never would've thought of that.

    For some odd reason, I absolutely love the 12 on the watch. From 12 to 6 ... I thought, "Wow, that looks like a real watch."

    Once I got to the other half of the watch, I saw the artistic side -- like an "Alice in Wonderland" feeling. Makes me wonder if you did it on purpose.

    ReplyDelete